[Slackbuilds-users] Bad character in snappy.info

Erich Ritz erich.public at protonmail.com
Wed Jun 9 13:45:54 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, June 9th, 2021 at 5:55 AM, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which leads to a request. In http://slackbuilds.org/guidelines/ it is
> written:
>
> "It's recommended to use plain ASCII for all files that are being
> submitted to
> SBo"
>
> However, most languages use characters outside of the ASCII set. Why not
> allow
> an UTF-8 encoding, in which all maintainers names can be properly written?
>
> Didier

With Slackware 15.0 switching to a UTF-8 locale by default:

Tue Jul 12 03:48:34 UTC 2016
a/etc-14.2-x86_64-8.txz: Rebuilt.
       In /etc/profile.d/lang.{csh,sh}.new, make en_US.UTF-8 the default locale.

I agree I would like to see all files as being encoded in UTF-8.  However, in the case of snappy.info it needs to be converted:

$ file snappy.info
snappy.info: ISO-8859 text

I think this is why python is choking on it.  Indeed, the webview also can't correctly show the file:
https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/tree/development/snappy/snappy.info?h=14.2
But using vim locally vim correctly detects the file encoding and displays properly.

Erich