[Slackbuilds-users] brace expansion

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:55:55 UTC 2021

On 6/16/21, Eugen Wissner <belka at caraus.de> wrote:
> Many Slackbuilds use brace expansion (mkdir {a,b}), which is a bashism.
> Can we fix this? I would help with patches if the change is desirable.

What makes you say it's broken and needs fixing?

SlackBuild scripts have #!/bin/sh at the top, yes. But they only have
to work on Slackware. And, /bin/sh on Slackware *has to be* a symlink
to /bin/bash. If you don't believe me, try changing it to ash, ksh,
or zsh, then rebooting the box.

Personally I'd prefer if SlackBuild scripts started with #!/bin/bash,
but when I used to submit them that way, the admins would change it
back to #!/bin/sh. So I quit worrying about it, and the world didn't
end.

Now, if the use of bashisms actually caused real problems (build
failures), that would be worth looking into. But changing a bunch of
scripts just to comply with what amounts to OCD... IMO not worth even
thinking about.

I'm just one opinionated guy though. What does the rest of the list
think?