[Slackbuilds-users] Angband

Rubén Llorente porting at use.startmail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:55:19 UTC 2021

David Chmelik <davidnchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> After many years, I'm thinking of giving up the Angband SlackBuild in
> the case someone else wants it.  Since they removed charisma from the
> game (so you don't do as well in shops or perhaps with neutral monsters)
> they made many more changes away from classic style, which I don't
> really like (like to magic/spells, so it no longer feels like playing
> Moria.)  I'd want to make a new 'retro' Angband SlackBuild, the last
> Angband that had charisma... would that be an acceptable one to submit?
>
> Sincerely,
> David

Roguelike fan here.

I think the sensible policy here is to stick to the last software version that works. If the newer versions of the software don't work for you there is no reason to upgrade unless there is a lot of demand from users. Seriously, they have a Dungeon Crawl version from before Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and a _MORIA_ version in the OpenBSD port tree precisely because of this reason.

I would argue that when the changes between versions are that big, it makes sense to have two versions of the same package in a software repository as long as there is interest on both.

By the way, I am also a bit pissed off by the fact many classig roguelikes are getting upgraded and changed beyond recognition...

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint:
BB5A C2A2 2CAD ACB7 D50D  C081 1DB9 6FC4 5AB7 92FA