[Slackbuilds-users] Jansson SlackBuild uses unofficial mirror

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun May 2 16:08:19 UTC 2021

On 5/2/21, Slack Coder <slackcoder at server.ky> wrote:

> From what I understand, the md5 hash is used to check whether file has
> been changed by the author and not for security purposes.  Therefore
> shouldn't the official source be used when its available?

What happens a lot of the time: the original download link becomes
unreachable for some reason. So someone (the script maintainer, or
an SBo admin) finds a working link and updates the .info file. Then
later on, the original link starts working again, but nobody changes
the .info file back. This happens because of the "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it" principle.

Ideally, the script maintainer would check the official site when he
does a version update. This doesn't always happen: sometimes he just
edits the URL and changes the version number. So long as the new URL
works, nobody's going to notice or care that it's not the official
download site.