[Slackbuilds-users] Python 2/3 convention

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Thu May 13 03:53:47 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I *think* we've come to a decision on python2/3 with respect to SBo.

Generally speaking, we'll go with upstream defaults, taking these
into consideration:

* if the build in question supports only python2 *or* python3,
  then it/they will need to be named as "python2-$build" or
  "python3-$build"

* if the build in question supports *both* python2 *and* python3,
  then the general rule will be to name it as python-$build

There are surely going to be exceptions to those, and we may well
have already created some of those exceptions ourselves (and not
necessarily on purpose), and ultimately there are sure to be lots
of corner cases and perhaps outright "we did this badly" cases
that show up later.  The best we can do right now is the best we
can do, and we'll all fix whatever we break once we realize we've
broken it... :-)

Some work has been merged into master branch and more to come soon.
This will take some time since we have lots of python scripts in our
repository and multi-layered dependencies.

Stay tuned for another email regarding how you can help us...

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo