[Slackbuilds-users] make -j${NUMJOBS} discussion

Slackbuilds sbo at linuxgalaxy.org
Sun Apr 3 18:16:52 UTC 2022

Hello Admins,
I get it.  We want to ensure compatibility over a wide variety of
computer hardware and build systems.  However, IMHO this far into the
21st Century, we need to realize that most SBo users are on x86_64
architecture and will have multicore processors on any laptop or desktop
CPU.  My smallest, oldest 10+ year old laptop I have as 2 cores (2
threads/core; Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor).  The next oldest has 4
cores. On my "new" 3-year old processors

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-core
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core (gemu gets 6 of these)

I sure as heck ain't gonna compile on one core and waste the rest when I
test, unless absolutely necessary.  I ain't got that kinda time given
that 70+ % of my expected lifespan is behind me.

Some SBo buildscripts can take a long time to compile when using only 1
core/thread.  Please note that nearly ALL core Slackware software sets
NUMJOBS based on the number of cores the CPU reports.  If it is good
enough for Pat, it's good enough for SBo.

Most modern build systems (ninja) are already parallel aware.
Autotools, can be problematic, especially with older sources, but is
generally parallel aware for newer projects.

It is easy enough to force 'make -j1' as needed for the few that need it.

Therefore, I will be adding back in to all the buildscripts under my
care, for those that can support it:

NUMJOBS=${NUMJOBS:-1}
make -j${NUMJOBS}

For compatibility, the default will be one core/thread.  Please do not
remove.  This is a feature and not a bug.

Thanks
-Ed