[Slackbuilds-users] 'Correct' download link from Github?

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Sun Apr 17 08:33:33 UTC 2022

On 17/04/22 18:08,
andrew <andrew.david.strong at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> I am putting a new Slackbuild together for opustags, which is hosted
> on github:
> https://github.com/fmang/opustags
> I am a little unsure of the correct download link from github which
> shows some variation whether wget or browser is used.
> Is there an SBo policy about such links?

No policy yet AFAIK but you can find the release tag (add /tags/ to
the end of the URL) and then do something like:

URL/archive/TAG/PRGNAM-TAG.tar.gz which would be:

https://github.com/fmang/opustags/archive/1.2.3/opustags-1.2.3.tar.gz

or

https://github.com/fmang/opustags/archive/v1.2.3/opustags-1.2.3.tar.gz

(note the v before the first TAG sometimes works if the first URL
gives a 404.)

The downloaded tarball can be tested with `tar tf <archive> | head'
to see if the directory name really matches the expected version
number.

HTH

--
Dave