[Slackbuilds-users] Why I''m leaving Slackware (was: Re: I would like librsync and rdiff-backup updated (to 2.3.2 and 2.0.5 respectively))

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Mon Dec 19 21:19:25 UTC 2022

Hi,

Le 19/12/2022 à 19:52, Ricardo J. Barberis a écrit :
> So I'm looking for a suitable replacement: Void looks nice and is not as
> bleeding edge as Arch.
>
> I don't mind systemd, so an Arch derivative is not ruled out yet, maybe some
> curated Arch-based/-derived distro (KaOS maybe?), or even openSUSE Tumbleweed.
>
> I'm even considering Fedora (the KDE spin) as a sort of semi-rolling distro.
> Actually, Chakra Linux used that concept but unfortunately they closed shop a
> few months ago.

I suggest openSUSE Tumbleweed. I installed openSUSE Leap 15.4 (to check how they
manage the brfs snapshots) and upgraded to Tumbleweed today without a hitch.
They have  a reference implementation of KDE and an excellent documentation.

I have heard good thinks about Void, but I think that openSUSE Tumbleweed will
give you an up to date system easy to maintain with a modern file system with
the ability to easily rollback a faulty update, be it due to a user error or a
problematic package update.

I will continue to maintain Slint, though ;)

Cheers,
Didier