[Slackbuilds-users] best way to mass-rebuild? (w/dependencies?)

David Chmelik davidnchmelik at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 07:44:10 UTC 2022

Last year or two on LinuxQuestions:Slackware I wrote a thread discussing
package/build tools, added more ones to the topic, which ended up filled
with more appearing since then.   For SBo I almost only use sbopkg &
sbotools but looked into others that largely seemed to do what the rest
already do, but am interested in learning more about them anyway.
     If I want to mass-rebuild all my installed packages in one go ('at
once') including w/queues, what's the best way?  I thought it was
sbotools, but depending what I used for end of package name (_SBo or
ponce,) sbotools seemed to replace some newer versions (I upgraded and
some perhaps reverted in SBo-git, unsure) with old ones.  For sbokpg it
seems you have to figure out everything which does or doesn't need
queues then (after running sqg) load all queues and non-dependent
packages separately, which I don't really feel like getting into (since
I use several hundred packages)...
     The last several versions of Slackware I try to rebuild everything
as soon as I can, to make sure packages I maintain build fine, but also
in case I need to report any that no one else did yet (depending whether
SBo staff is checking everything themselves.)
     It seems mine build fine (I think I mass-rebuilt everything but
have done a fresh installation afterwards) but I just want to make sure
I rebuild everything (easier in sbotools) but don't have to another mass
rebuild after that (seems sbotools can handle SBo-git except still only
ends package names with SBo... but I'll be staying on SBo-git on some,
not all PCs/servers... and I haven't seen sbotools people on IRC so
don't know where to ask them to fix that.)
     I also found some bugs in sbopkg.  If I check for & load updates,
then start removing some from the queue after going down a page, sbopkg
stops showing names below that then no longer can edit queue, maybe even
have to exit.