[Slackbuilds-users] Fwd: Howto for slackware tgz

slackbuilds at ninefamily.com slackbuilds at ninefamily.com
Thu Jan 13 03:04:01 UTC 2022

A Slackware _package_ is just an archive and does not have any
parameters and structure its self in order to keep with the philosophy^1
of maintaining the software as close to what the original author
intended and not adding any extra layers or complexity.

A Slack_build_ is a script that is bundled within the package archive
(tgz) that simply runs the configure/make and install process as
described in the overview process
https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:slackbuild_scripts

Imagine you found a software project that was not in the Debian or
Devuan repositories and wanted to use it on one of your existing
systems. You would download the source from that project, extract it and
peruse the documentation to see if it has any dependency requirements
and if you have everything it requires follow the build and install
process for that software. That build/install process is what the
Slackbuild does. The Slackbuild script will have a standard format to
help with ease of re-use and long term maintenance.

A brief layout of a Slackware install can be found here
https://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:working_with_filesystems but in
general it follows what the Linux / Kernel foundation and developers set
forth as standards, again per the Slackware philosophy

You can extract any Slackware package and see the internal structure is
that of the software's completed build/install laid out as the software
author intended.

There are a number of tools to help automate bulk building packages for
deployment to multiple systems if that's something you are in need of.

1: https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:philosophy