[Slackbuilds-users] Deal with source that requires submodules

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Thu Jul 28 22:39:03 UTC 2022

On 29/7/22 04:11, Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 July 2022 20:08:02 CEST Wen-Wei Kao wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently while writing SlackBuilds, there is a particular package (https://
>> github.com/fcitx/libime) that requires a submodule pulled in before
>> compiling, but the Github release tags' sources don't have it included.
>> What are the recommended ways to deal with this? Should I mark both as
>> assets in the .info file, and decompress them in appropriate places? TIA.
>
> There's a second source tarball :)
>
> https://download.fcitx-im.org/fcitx5/libime/libime-1.0.13_dict.tar.xz
>
> Notice the "_dict" at the end. That one shouldn't need any external additions.

Although there's an easy solution in this particular case, I would be
interested in hearing of a more general solution for cases where there
is no such additional tarball available.

I maintain another SlackBuild which has exactly the same problem. My
solution so far has been to locally checkout the commit which
corresponds to the (incomplete) release tarball. Then I pull in the
required submodules and generate a new (complete) tarball which I host
at slackbuildsdirectlinks, from where can be used as a single download
for the SlackBuild.

While that's a workable solution, I would definitely be interested in
alternatives.

chris