[Slackbuilds-users] Respect Content-disposition header always?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 21:27:59 UTC 2022

On 3/1/22, Erich Ritz via SlackBuilds-users
<slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> Based on this commit:
>
> http://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/commit/?id=59ddd1a2287f3432c9bf1e3f690c8d17c9fcef5d
>
> I guess it's now SBo policy that downloads must respect Content-disposition?
> Or I missed that it always was?

Yeah, that's something we've started doing systematically, because it
makes life easier for us when we're doing mass-rebuilds. It also makes
life easier for users, who persist in using whatever tool they feel
like to download the file (which results in emails from the users when
the script fails because of the filename...)

A while back there was a post to the mailing list about it (like, a
few years back). Probably one of us should write up a FAQ and link it
from the submissions section on the web site.

> (note that wget --content-disposition downloads this file as
> pop-os-sysfs-class-0.1.3-1-gab63e7f.tar.gz).
>
> I've been (ab)using github's feature that you can name a download file
> whatever you want, with the purpose of making the SlackBuild much easier to
> write.

Please don't do that...

Plus, it doesn't make it that much easier: your script still
has to refer to the extracted directory by the same name as the
content-disposition would have given you.