[Slackbuilds-users] python-template.SlackBuild comment/question, Re: mathics

David Chmelik dchmelik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 09:24:25 UTC 2022

Working on mathics.SlackBuild, I'm thinking does maybe maybe
python-template.SlackBuild template need update?  Seems /any/all/
(almost 10+) Python programs I try anymore use pip, not setuptools
(haven't seen it for years) so shouldn't both be in template(s)?  But,
maybe pip isn't going to work right without pip2tgz...

On 3/14/22 12:54 AM, David Chmelik wrote:
> On 3/14/22 12:46 AM, Duncan Roe wrote:
>> @David Chmelik: in your earlier email, you talked about mathics. I
>> built Mathics
>> 1.0. Now you are talking about Mathics-omnibus. As you say,
>> Mathics-omnibus
>> doesn't offer a source distro. pip2tgz can't build it. [...]
> Mathics 1 SlackBuild existed since Slackware 14.2 and doesn't need
> changes.
>     Mathics-omnibus is newer stable Mathics full installation, which
> is what I want to update SlackBuild for, so of course I'm talking
> about it: many SlackBuilds will be being updated, sometimes with major
> changes.
I mean Slackware 14.2 is barely older than Mathics 1, from 2 October
2016, w/newer commits (I didn't use) since that October 4th, until late
2020's 1.1.  Mathics 4 (though renamed still Mathics3) was mid-2021, so
if anyone might prefer basic package, that would've been what to try.  I
might make basic and/or full installation Mathics build scripts.  I want
full but depends what others may want.
     Incidentally 'pip3tgz Mathics3-4.0.0.tar.gz' builds (but crashes,
so I'll be talking to upstream) but I avoid unusual build methods, like
seems poor style when discord.SlackBuild gets .deb instead of .tar.gz
(though pip2tgz may be better than plain pip because can/does specify
.tar.gz.)  It may (or not--comments/suggestions/policies?) be best see
if pip can be made to install to /tmp/SBo/package-mathics then do normal
makepkg. W/pip2tgz would I put .tar.gz in mathics.info then use pip2tgz
on it?