[Slackbuilds-users] python-template.SlackBuild comment/question, Re: mathics

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 22:20:09 UTC 2022

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 2:55 PM Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 08:16:29AM -0600, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 14, 2022, 3:24 AM David Chmelik <dchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Working on mathics.SlackBuild, I'm thinking does maybe maybe
> > > python-template.SlackBuild template need update?  Seems /any/all/
> > > (almost 10+) Python programs I try anymore use pip, not setuptools
> > > (haven't seen it for years) so shouldn't both be in template(s)?  But,
> > > maybe pip isn't going to work right without pip2tgz...

> major
> > > I mean Slackware 14.2 is barely older than Mathics 1, from 2 October
> > > 2016, w/newer commits (I didn't use) since that October 4th, until late
> > > 2020's 1.1.  Mathics 4 (though renamed still Mathics3) was mid-2021, so
> > > if anyone might prefer basic package, that would've been what to try.
> > > might make basic and/or full installation Mathics build scripts.  I
> want
> > > full but depends what others may want.
> > >      Incidentally 'pip3tgz Mathics3-4.0.0.tar.gz' builds (but crashes,
> > > so I'll be talking to upstream) but I avoid unusual build methods, like
> > > seems poor style when discord.SlackBuild gets .deb instead of .tar.gz
> > > (though pip2tgz may be better than plain pip because can/does specify
> > > .tar.gz.)  It may (or not--comments/suggestions/policies?) be best see
> > > if pip can be made to install to /tmp/SBo/package-mathics then do
> normal
> > > makepkg. W/pip2tgz would I put .tar.gz in mathics.info then use
> pip2tgz
> > > on it?
> > >

> > I'm not sure why discord came up when talking about python and pip2tgz,
> but
> > I chose to use the deb because it places the files in the normal package
> > locations.
> >
> > The tar.gz would need to be placed in /opt/ and it would need extra lines
> > of code to get everything set up.
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> No, the created tar.gz is a Slackware package, same as you get from a
> SlackBuild
> normally.
>
> I think all the *2tgz packages work that way.

The discord tar.gz you download from their site is a self-contained version
of discord. It does not contain the normal folder structure found in a
package. It is simply in a Discord/ folder, which everything extracts into
that Discord/ folder. You can run it from that directory. If I used this, I
would need to add extra lines into the script to place files properly (like
a link in /usr/bin and placing the discord.desktop and icon in the proper
locations for them to show up in a menu -- not hard, but entirely
unnecessary when the .deb package already does it). The .deb is already
prepped and ready to go. You just extract it and you're ready to make a
Slackware package minus the Slackware specific things like a slack-desc,
doinst.sh, and making the /usr/doc directory..

However, my initial question of why was discord brought up within a pip2tgz
topic wasn't answered... Discord is not python and won't be found via pip.
There is discord.py that can be found via pip, but it is an API wrapper,
not the official discord chat app. So, pip2tgz can't do anything with
discord, so what was the point in mentioning discord?

Jeremy