[Slackbuilds-users] List of builds that were removed for 15.0 (B Watson)

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 05:41:14 UTC 2022

On 3/14/22, sborg63 <sborg63 at disroot.org> wrote:

> On Slackbuilds.org there is still this list with some overlap with
> the abandoned set:
>
>  Search Results for "jupyter"
> Name	Category	Version	Slackware
> jupyter-ipykernel	Development	6.9.1	15.0
> jupyter-nbclient	Development	0.5.12	15.0
> jupyter-nbconvert	Development	6.4.2	15.0
> jupyter-nbformat	Development	5.1.3	15.0
> jupyter-notebook	Development	6.4.8	15.0
> jupyter-qtconsole	Development	5.2.2	15.0
> jupyter_client	Development	7.1.2	15.0
> jupyter_console	Development	6.4.3	15.0
> jupyter_core	Development	4.9.1	15.0
> jupyterlab_pygments	Development	0.1.2	15.0
> ipython	Python	8.1.1	15.0

Sorry, my list was made by searching for "Removed" in the git log,
then subtracting anything that has "Re-added". These got re-added
after removal, but the commit messages just say "Added". So, my fault,
these are still on SBo for 15.0.

> It seems a loss if this is all gone; is there an alternative coming in
> or are we supposed to use pip or to maintain our own script set?

In most cases, the reason things are gone is that they can't be built
on 15.0. Leaving them in the repo would have just left you with a
frustrating experience of trying to build things and watching them
fail.

As for "is there an alternative coming in", that's up to the
maintainers. The point of posting the list was to let the maintainers
know they can re-add their scripts, after patching/fixing so they work
on 15.0. I just included some stuff in the list that shouldn't have
been there...

In theory, the SBo admins could have spent the extra time to make sure
*everything* got fixed... but there aren't that many of us, and we
were trying to get the 15.0 repo out there in some usable form, in a
reasonable amount of time (it took us, what, 6 weeks?)

If we'd insisted on fixing everything first, not dropping anything,
it would still be at least 2 or 3 more months before our 15.0 repo
could be released. As it stands, we dropped less than 5% of the
builds. And they can be re-added, when/if someone steps up to maintain
them. Seemed like a good tradeoff to us.