[Slackbuilds-users] Mathics 4 SlackBuild out

David Chmelik dchmelik at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 11:35:28 UTC 2022

Mathics 4 SlackBuilds is out (can add to SBo-git: )
http://davidchmelik.com/slackbuilds/academic/mathics.tar.gz .
     Mathics is Free/Libre/Opensource Software (FLS, OSS, FOSS, FLOSS)
implementation of Wolfram (Mathematica) programming language subset.
Mathematica seemed main academic mathematics software during decades I
was maths majoring at two colleges/unviersities (used at many worldwide
and there are conferences for it.)  Of course many more exist (Casio &
HP & Sharp & Ti & newer graphing calculators, Antiprism, Cadabra,
Cantor, FET, Fractint, Genius, Geogebra, Gnofract, LabPlot, Maple,
Mathomatic, MATLAB, Maxima, Pari, R, Reduce-Algebra, Rocs, SAGE, SMath
Studio, Scilab, TeX, XaoS, ZeGrapher, most these being on SBo and some
for mathematical logic,  applied mathematics/natural science, etc.) but
all professors I had used Mathematica whether other software also.
     Mathematica manual doesn't even fit a bookshelf since late '0s or
early '10s and the only other almost-all-encompassing alternative one
professor suggested is SAGE.  While a few others like MATLAB
(unfortunately proprietary) may be easier for specific uses they're not
as comprehensive.
     Mathics is command-line/graphical but seems graphical version might
now be separate software, so if you want that. don't necessarily
upgrade... I'll try to SlackBuild and stated I'd try to SlackBuild
Mathics-omnibus but if anyone beats me to those it's fine...