[Slackbuilds-users] Question about Brave browser

Luveh Keraph 1.41421 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:54:05 UTC 2022

I have installed the Brave browser in my 15.0 system using the Slackbuilds
software for the purpose. I noticed that, after the installation is
completed, some MIME handling settings are silently changed:

    $ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/http
    brave-browser.desktop

    $ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/https
    brave-browser.desktop

Before installing Brave, the output of these commands was, in my case,
chromium.desktop. The default browser setting remains unchanged though:

    $ xdg-settings  get default-web-browser
     chromium.desktop

The above changes imply that when clicking on a link embedded in an email
in Thunderbird, the Brave browser will be launched, instead of whatever was
the default before - Chromium, in my case.  This is OK if you want to use
the Brave browser for that purpose. It is, however, a bit annoying that the
changes are carried out under the wraps and without asking the person in
charge of the installation of this browser whether such an action is what
one wants to do - installing a browser does not necessarily mean that it is
meant to become the default browser for MIME data handling.

It is easy enough to restore the MIME settings to what they were - in my
case I would do

    $ xdg-mime default chromium.desktop x-scheme-handler/http
    $ xdg-mime default chromium.desktop x-scheme-handler/https

However, it would be nice if the installation software were not to change
the MIME settings silently, or, at the very least, for the documentation in
the Slackbuilds installer to warn about this action and explain how to
revert it.

Looking into the files in the Slackbuilds installation software it would
seem that doinst.sh has something to do with all this, but being totally
ignorant about such issues, I wouldn't know - the xdg-mime recipes that I
mentioned I got from a network search, they work for me, and that's all I
know about them.