[Slackbuilds-users] CTAGs

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Mon Mar 28 14:35:56 UTC 2022

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022, Ozan Turkyilmaz wrote:

> Where is the correct place to put ctags?
> There's a small update to liboop after years and I went over the script
> as well. Now it can build ctags for the labrary but I dont really know
> where to put it.

Normally, tags files aren't installed system-wide. The only people
who really *need* a tags file for the liboop source are people who are
editing the source (its developers, in other words, not users).

Are the tags generated for the whole library source, or just the
headers? If it's the source, then the library's source would have to
be installed somewhere like /usr/src or /usr/share/$PRGNAM/source, and
the tags file would have to have the full paths (meaning you'd have to
use sed or something to fix it up). If it's just the headers, it would
still need the full paths, and it wouldn't be all that useful anyway.

If you really want to install them... vim, at least, doesn't have a
default global directory for tags. The user would have to add a line
to .vimrc to use them, something like:

set tags=./tags,./TAGS,tags,TAGS,/usr/share/liboop/tags

emacs users would have to do the equivalent (no idea how to do that).