[Slackbuilds-users] policy request: don't alter/overwrite system files without consent!

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Wed May 11 04:21:19 UTC 2022

On Mon, 9 May 2022 00:06:52 -0700
David Chmelik <dchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I request SBo policy is SlackBuilds don't alter/overwrite system
> files/symlinks without asking; providing alternatives is fine, but
> I've had many horrible experiences with this over years.

That is and has been our policy since the beginning.

>          A recent critical offender is dropbear SSH(D.)  I installed
> to try alternative SSH client then found it overwrites Slackware's
> sshd and I could no longer remotely connect (had to go there
> physically)--this is /extremely/ bad (README doesn't even warn you!:
> ) let user/sysadmin decide if they want to replace such things
> themselves (/after/ installing) or just try out!

I am not convinced. I just spent quite a few minutes looking at
every git commit since dropbear was added to the SBo repo.
What I found was that scp could have been overwritten, but it
was not the default *and* there was a warning in README.
If you built dropbear using the sources for the Slackware installer,
then you would overwrite the ssh binary but still not the sshd
binary.

-RW