[Slackbuilds-users] NVIDIA open sources drivers

Ruben Carlo Benante rcb at beco.cc
Fri May 13 00:00:10 UTC 2022

Hello there guys, and specially nouveau maintainers and beautiful people that makes video
card drivers under linux,

I just got this news

https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules[1]

NVIDIA opened its kernel modules source. From the news , it speculates NVIDIA will open
source its drivers.

At this stage, it is still dependent on proprietary firmware. But being that it is a fresh breaking
news, we can't expect much immediately. Lets see what comes up the next months.

I'll wait to see, before any commemoration, but I think it is a step forward.

What do you guys think about it? Are you optimist?

And from what is already open, do you think it will impact the quality of the drivers we
already have?

I hope so.

Best,
Dr. Bèco

PS. Some references:

* https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-open-source-gpu-kernel-drivers[2]
* https://www.pcgamer.com/the-unthinkable-has-happened-nvidia-has-finally-embraced-open-source-gpu-drivers/[3]

--
Dr. Bèco
AI researcher

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do." (Carnegie)

Essa mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao seu destinatário e pode conter informações
confidenciais, protegidas por sigilo profissional, direitos autorais reservados, ou cuja
divulgação seja proibida por lei. O uso não autorizado de tais informações é proibido e está
sujeito às penalidades cabíveis.

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee and may contain information that is
confidential and protected by a professional privilege, reserved copyright, or whose
disclosure is prohibited by law. Unauthorised use of such information is prohibited and
subject to applicable penalties.

--------
[1] https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules
[2] https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-open-source-gpu-kernel-drivers