[Slackbuilds-users] hdf5 version 1.12.2 -vs- version 1.10.6

Konrad J Hambrick kjhambrick at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 11:09:35 UTC 2022

Matteo --

Several of my SBo's that REQUIRE HDF5 fail to run this morning.

I believe it's because HDF5 Version 1.12.2 introduced incompatible API
Changes compared to the previous version HDF5 1.10.6

See this link( HDF5 Version 1.12.2 API Compatibility Macros ):

Migrating from HDF5 1.10 to HDF5 1.12
<https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/HDF5/Migrating+from+HDF5+1.10+to+HDF5+1.12>

One Program is gdal which lists hdf5 as an optional REQUIRE.

I found an optional 'compatibility' configure option here:

https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/HDF5/API+Compatibility+Macros

So I added:

    --with-default-api-version=v110

And I rebuilt HDF5.

I tried rebuilding gdal ( where hdf5 is an optional REQUIRE ) and it failed
to compile.

I reverted to hdf5 version 1.10.6 and everything works as expected.

I am not sure how to proceed because ultimately, proper fixes for all these
SBo Packages will require upstream fixes for the new HDF5 API:

# hoorex -m hdf5
hdf5 h5utils matio FreeFem openimageio med mpb gmsh netcdf GMT ITK OTB meep
cdo ncview nco paraview Blender grace

Thanks for all your work !

-- kjh