[Slackbuilds-users] Python2 packages in need of action

Markus Reichelt ml at mareichelt.com
Sun Apr 30 20:08:56 UTC 2023

* Arnaud via SlackBuilds-users <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> Amongst those there are packages very outdated, building for
> python2, no python3 version available on SBo, and the upstream
> newer versions are python3 only.  Most of them probable aren't
> working at all, probably build fine, but short of really using it,
> with python packages, you can't know if they work.  Mosty of the
> one I've tested don't, they have broken dependencies, or rely on
> Great Old Stuff from Way Before Slackware 15.0.

Let's not forget what magic mess the superlong release timeframe of
Slackware 15.0 caused for all involved; I had tahoe-lafs working on
then-at-a-time-current including 1.16.0, with added deps.  But the
number of python deps kept increasing and tahoe-lafs changed their
release procedure/mantra, in addition to the established mess.

I used to maintain some of the patients you mention, and have already
informed about their situation on this list.  I can say that to date
nobody contacted me in that regard whatsoever - so let's remove old
cruft that you mention and where I am still listed as maintainer.

But maybe this thread sparks someone into action taking over
maintenance.

Regards,
Markus