[Slackbuilds-users] Tests updating Lazarus to version 3.0

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Tue Dec 26 22:04:34 UTC 2023

Sorry this got so long & verbose, hopefully it'll be helpful.

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023, Antonio Leal via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> So doublecmd-qt5 and winff don't build with new Lazarus.

Looks like doublecmd development moved from sourceforge to github,
see https://github.com/doublecmd/doublecmd/releases

Possibly the latest 1.1.x release will build & work with lazarus 3.0?

This would be a case where you coordinate with the maintainer. However,
he's given his email address as "no at no.noooo.ooo" which doesn't look like
a real address. Maybe he's subscribed to this mailing list, and will see
this thread...?

For winff, there's also new releases. What we've got in our repo is a random
git commit from September 2022. If you look here:

https://github.com/WinFF/winff/tags

...you'll see that there have been several releases since
then. Perhaps the latest will work with lazarus 3.0. Here, the SBo
maintainer is active and has a real email address, so you should
coordinate with him.

> What is the SlackBuilds policy in this situation?
>
> a) Stay with current Lazarus 2.2.6 and hope that all packages will eventually build correctly? Who keeps checking this and how?

You're the lazarus maintainer, so you check it... which you have done,
and are doing. Also the maintainers of the other builds should check.

> b) Notify maintainers and upgrade Lazarus to 3.0 anyway?

Breaking peoples' builds by updating their dependencies is
rude. Notifying them that you're about to do it is slightly less rude,
but it's still a hassle: puts pressure on the maintainer to drop
whatever else he's doing and fix his build (that wasn't broken until
you broke it). Not a good way to treat unpaid volunteers...

> c) Other?

My preferred way of dealing with this situation is, I'd patch
the dependees (doublecmd-qt5 and winff), possibly updating them
to new versions. Get them working with the new lazarus. Then send
the diffs to their builds (and lazarus) to the maintainers for their
consideration. If they're OK with your changes, either they can submit
the updates, or allow you to do it.

If you use github or some other public git repo, you can do it as a
fork/branch. If you'd rather, you can just email the diffs (I'd say
gzip them first). Since the doublecmd-qt5 maintainer's email address
is bogus, I guess you have to mail the diffs to this mailing list too.
If you do that, and we don't hear from him within some reasonable
amount of time, most likely an SBo admin will step in and update his
build.