[Slackbuilds-users] .info file variable expansion

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:02:09 UTC 2023

On Sat, Feb 25, 2023, 6:23 AM Petar Petrov <slackalaxy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not intend to sound nagging, but why not implement such a feature
> in order to make maintainers' job easier?
>
> -petar

I can't speak on whether or not it's worth adjusting everything to support
variables in there, but if it's just a simple version bump and the version
is the only thing that needs to be changed in the url(s), you can use a
script to update the versions pretty easily.

I made my own script that will update all instances of the version number
in the .info and .SlackBuild, reset the build number, download the
source(s), calculate the md5 for those sources and update that field in the
.info, and check the copyright year in the SlackBuild.

https://github.com/bassmadrigal/scripts/blob/master/version-bump.sh

It doesn't work for every script, but should work for most. Most of the
time, it's a very quick way to update everything and not miss the little
things (like resetting the build number). Occasionally, I'll still need to
manually adjust the download link and calculate my own md5, but over the
years I've been using this, it makes updating most of my SlackBuilds
breezes. It's definitely made my job easier.

Jeremy