[Slackbuilds-users] proposal to enable building scripts on ARM

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Sat Mar 4 15:25:32 UTC 2023

> ARM isn't going away, and slackbuilds.org supporting at least a subset
> of scripts to be build on ARM would be really nice to have. I'm not
> heavily invested in it, I just have some RPis with Slackware on it that
> I occasionally use. Just sharing my thoughts, as it's a semi-frequently
> discussed topic.
>
> The main problem with allowing support for ARM is that the layout of
> the info files would change, which could break tooling. I just had an
> idea which wouldn't break any existing tools, but could enable
> architecture specific information to be read by other tools (or
> humans):
>
> For each additional supported architecture other than x86 and x86_64 add
> a file named ${PRGNAM}.${ARCH}info which add/override values of the
> classic info file. The only additional change would be in the code to
> detect architectures in the SlackBuilds, but that should be of no
> relevance for tools.

The problem is that we (admins) might not have a machine to test the ARM
architecture, so we can't validate the script.
Plus it adds more loads to the admins to validate over 8k scripts during
development cycle for next release of SlackBuild repository.

We had issues with failing 32 bit builds for 15.0 since majority of
users here are using 64 bit machines only and didn't test on 32 bit
machines anymore so some goes undetected.

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo