[Slackbuilds-users] R build fails on check for curl >=7.28

phalange at komputermatrix.com phalange at komputermatrix.com
Mon Mar 27 15:39:28 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-25 22:52, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>> Thanks Kevin, I'm cc'ing the group too.
>>
>> R won't build if libcurl is > 7 and Slackware is now at 8. Even the
>> alpha (upcoming) release won't build.
>>
>> Some ubu / deb people have installed libcurl-gnutls-dev (version 7.x)
>> to resolve the error, but the sbo package libcurl-gnutls does not
>> resolve it in Slackware.
>>
>> R is really siloed -- there's no public repo and bug reports require a
>> bugzilla account, so that might take... forever?
>>
>> Anyway, the upshot is that R won't build right now. Any suggestions?
>
> i have found a patch which solved this issue
> i will push it on my branch soon

Willy, I tested the R-devel release and it builds with Curl 8 -- the
check for Curl 7 is there but deactivated.

R-devel is the unstable release, but may be preferable to a bespoke
patch; there's no great solution but at least R-devel comes from the R
core team.

I can submit it as stop-gap until the next major release which
*hopefully* supports Curl 8.

Let me know.

-Andrew