[Slackbuilds-users] slackbuilds up for grabs

Dave dave at slackbuilds.org
Tue May 9 08:18:29 UTC 2023

09/05/23 11:47,
Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au>:
> On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 08:02:42AM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
> > Le 08/05/2023 à 06:29, Franzen via SlackBuilds-users a écrit :
> > > The find -L ... on this sources takes forever on my old hardware, and spits
> > > thousand
> > > "chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink
> > > './links/22/actions/fileview-preview.svg"
> > > I changed it to
> > > chmod -R u+w,go-w,a+rX-st .
> > > and it's ready under one second.
> > >
> > > There are also some duplicate files(not much, but anyway), to replace them by
> > > symlinks i added:
> > > LASTSIZE=x
> > > find $PKG -type f -printf '%s %p\n' | sort -n |
> > > while read -r SIZE FILE; do
> > >   # symlinks alse need some bytes, don't link under 10 bytes
> > >   if [ "$SIZE" -gt 10 -a "$SIZE" == "$LASTSIZE" ]; then
> > >     if [ "$(sha512sum $FILE | cut -d' ' -f1)" \
> > >       == "$(sha512sum $LASTFILE | cut -d' ' -f1)" ] ; then
> > >       ln -srf $FILE $LASTFILE
> > >     fi
> > >   fi
> > >   LASTSIZE="$SIZE"; LASTFILE="$FILE"
> > > done
> >
> > Thanks Johannes, I will take your changes.
> >
> > As an aside, I included this package in Slint so users be able to add XFCE-4.18
> > as packaged by George Vlahavas in
> > http://slackware.uk/salix/x86_64/xfce4.18-15.0/ (with the same look) trying just
> > this command:
> > slapt-get --install-set xfce
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Didier
> >
> I'm a little concerned by the comment
>
>   "symlinks alse need some bytes, don't link under 10 bytes"
>
> Files occupy a multiple of 4K bytes. So replacing a 1-byte file with a symlink
> will usually save 4KB. Occasionally it will bump the directory size by 4KB so
> there is no saving.
>
> I suggest symlinking should be unconditional.
>
> Cheers ... Duncan.

Isn't this is more about source code that contain symlinks with
non-existent endpoints and file system loops?  In our case, when we
changed modes and ownership of files in a directory it really makes
no difference to follow a symlink to a file/directory that the find
command will eventually come to anyway (if the target is inside the
source tarball).  I can't see a problem with leaving out the -L
myself, but perhaps I'm missing something?

Dave

--
sbo-maintainer-tools (sbolint, sbopkglint):
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/system/sbo-maintainer-tools/

SBo templates:
https://slackbuilds.org/templates/

How to format github downloads: