[Slackbuilds-users] Virtualbox

Jim zsd+slackbuilds at jdvb.ca
Sun May 21 17:28:01 UTC 2023

On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 22:39 (+0200), Heinz Wiesinger wrote:

> On Saturday, 20 May 2023 21:27:23 CEST Jim wrote:
>> For anyone who is listening and cares...

>> See below

>> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 21:04 (+0800), David O'Shaughnessy wrote:

>>> There are some of the maintainer's build scripts here though that are
>>> updated: https://repo.liwjatan.org/pprkut/15.0/source/
>>> https://repo.liwjatan.org/pprkut/current/source/

>> I have edited the virtualbox slackbuilds, info files and patch file for
>> virtualbox                      to 6.1.44 (6.1.44a, more specifically)
>> virtualbox-kernel               to 6.1.40 (latest and greatest, it seems)
>> virtualbox-extension-pack       to 6.1.44
>> and built and (lightly) tested the results and all seems to be fine.

>> I don't want to pull the rug out from under the feet of the current
>> maintainer, but if he or someone in SBo management-land wants the updated
>> files, please let me know and I'll package them up and send them off.

>> For that matter, should anyone else want them I'll be happy to package them
>> up and send them off.

> Hi there! I'm still alive,

Glad to hear it!

> but indeed rather busy.

Been there.

> I was hoping things would have cleared up by now, but alas...

> I updated to 6.1.44 in my repo just this week, doing the same for SBo is
> on my TODO list.  However, can't provide any timeline :-/

That's OK.

> Is there a specific feature/bugfix you *need* from the newer version though?
> Generally, the version on SBo should work "just fine".

I used windoze (in a vbox VM) to do my taxes a few weeks ago.  Although I
fully expect windoze to crash unpredictably and frequently, it was outdoing
itself in that regard.  I thought that perhaps there was something in
V6.1.34 of VBox that was annoying windoze, and that maybe a newer VBox
might annoy it less.

> If it's just about running the "latest and greatest", you should be able
> to fetch the SlackBuild from my -current or 15.0 repo (or even the
> packages).  I don't typically update my scripts on SBo anymore unless
> there's a specific reason.

Fair enough.  In this case I needed to remove one of the patches from your
6.1.34 SlackBuild to make it compile.  YMMV.

Cheers.

                                Jim