[Slackbuilds-users] memtest86 vs memtest86+

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Thu Oct 5 19:46:51 UTC 2023

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Thanks for sharing. When I re-read both SBo pages more carefully I saw that
> the plus version had instructions for installation on EFI systems so that's
> what I now have installed. This weekend I'll test both the installed DIMMs
> and the new ones.

You also might want to install memtester. Unlike memtest86 and
memtest86+, it runs as a regular Linux process, meaning you don't have
to reboot to use it.

Its testing can't be as thorough (it can't test the memory that holds
the kernel + its modules for instance), but you can use it for a quick
check. Maybe even run it weekly from cron, if you're worried about
flaky DIMMs.