[Slackbuilds-users] Redis, one fork, two forks, and a spoon.

Arnaud arnaud.garcia-fernandez at laposte.net
Wed Apr 3 13:32:39 UTC 2024

Hi fellow Slackers,

	some of you may know that the Redis database took a turn out of free
software.
Since it is widely used, there are already two forks about it.
One is named redict, and also forks hiredis to hiredict, and uses its own binary
names : redict-server, redict-cli, etc.
The other one named valkey with less names changes, probably aiming at being a
drop-in replacement.

As maintainer of Redis, I've decided to allow us to try them, hence I've just
submitted three new packages : redict, hiredict and valkey.

I made the valkey build so that it uses valkey names, for data, logs, and
binaries.
So you would actually be able to have all of the three running at the same time.
Beware of the default port of 6379 for all three of them, I've added a build
option to change this default port inside the packages.

All of them comes with their own {redis,redict,valkey}-cli binary, which can
connect to any of the databases, providing the right port number (always at the
default of 6379 though), compatibility being - for now - at 100%.

Here, I've tried my best to allow for having all three of them alongside one
another on a single box, mainly for testing and validation purposes.

Redis is a nice project, and its build is fairly clean, so the job wasn't very
difficult and everything works pretty fine here, at home.

Let the future tell us what will happen to them all!

	- Yth.