[Slackbuilds-users] suggestion for a new category for fonts

Lockywolf for_slackbuilds-users_mlist_2023-04-21 at lockywolf.net
Thu Mar 21 05:04:08 UTC 2024

"B. Watson" <urchlay at slackware.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>
>> Since we have search form in our website, i wonder how many people would go
>> through each categories when looking for some scripts instead of just using the
>> search form?
>
> OK, so in that case, why do we have categories at all? Would it bother
> you to get rid of them entirely? Other than the amount of work it
> would take to accomplish it, I mean. Would we be better off if there
> had never been categories?
>
> We could just add a keyword for each build, with its former category.
> system/dosbox would just become dosbox/, and get "system" added to its
> list of keywords...
>
> ...which is silly of course. It's intended to be silly.

I do use categories often. I am finding them useful when understanding
optional deps, and when searching for "related software".

Admittedly, perhaps not _all_ of them are useful, but for me many make
sense.

I am often finding myself searching for packages using sbopkg -g.
They are not fool-proof, but they do help when there are packages with
similar names, but doing different things.

For example, I might be searching for something which encrypts with aes:
sbopkg -g aes. This is the result:

academic/aeskulap             0.2.2_e710562d
haskell/haskell-aeson         2.0.2.0
haskell/haskell-aeson-compat  0.3.10
haskell/haskell-aeson-pretty  0.8.9
haskell/haskell-cipher-aes    0.2.11
haskell/haskell-hslua-aeson   2.1.0
libraries/SlowAES             0.1a1
libraries/libcaes             20230406
office/unaesgcm               0.4.1.20220827_0cf9cb
perl/perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-AES   0.02
python/pyaes                  1.6.1
system/aespipe                2.4g

From those I immediately see that I need no "academic, haskell,
libraries, perl, python." Which leaves me with either unaesgcm or
aespipe. And both of those generally do what I expect them to do.

When a program is in the "network" category, very high chances are that
it doesn't work without network access.

Some things are not entirely clear, such as
"desktop/office/development".
Like, I am a developer, and I use a desktop computer, and I work in an
office. But even so, a "desktop" program probably has a GUI, or at least
and interactive TUI.

Replacing categories _entirely_ with tags might be an option, but for me
it seems too radical of a reform, to be honest.
But at least <language-deps> (python, ruby, haskell), "network", and
"libraries" do make a lot of sense.

--
Your sincerely,
Vladimir Nikishkin (MiEr, lockywolf)