<div dir="ltr"><div>I have had time to run a mass rebuild of all the gnome packages I use in order to put together a functioning gnome desktop environment. </div><div><br></div><div>For some background, the general idea around the gnome desktop environment you can get on <a href="http://slackbuilds.org">slackbuilds.org</a> was as follows:</div><div><br></div><div>gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-control-center   -   provides the control panel for the gnome desktop, which is integrated into the gnome-shell interface.</div><div>gnome-shell/mutter                                              -   the actual graphical interface</div><div>gdm                                                                      -   login manager and screen locking facility for gnome desktop</div><div><br></div><div>After those core packages, I maintain the packages for applications that gnome ships to fill out the desktop as well, otherwise its just a bare graphical shell with a settings panel.</div><div><br></div><div>~~~</div><div><br></div><div>Now with gnome-online-accounts bumped and put on the webkit2gtk4.1/libsoup3 dependency chain, the following packages are broken:</div><div><br></div><div>gnome-control-center   -   crashes immediately at runtime due to mixed libsoup2 and libsoup3 symbols. This basically kneecaps the entire gnome desktop environment, making gnome-shell fairly useless as a desktop environment for users. gnome-shell can still be installed and used to run gdm, but if a user tries launching a gnome-shell based desktop from gdm as that combination is intended to do, they wont have a functional control panel in that desktop environment.</div><div><br></div><div>I think the gnome-control-center package will have to be removed until the next release where slackware has newer glib2/gtk/gjs/etc libraries that can support the gnome desktop environment stack again. I'll have to update my build queue repo's readmes and LQ posts with warning messages about the breakage. There's other options/repos out there to install the gnome desktop now anyway so I could just point others to use that now.</div><div><br></div><div>evolution-data-server   -   This fails to build at its current version, citing a missing webkit2gtk4.0 package. This webkit2gtk4.0 dependency was previously pulled into the build order via gnome-online-accounts being at the older version. With the newer version of gnome-online-accounts, this build is broken, which will break all further builds with evolution-data-server in their dependency chain.</div><div><br></div><div>I managed to build evolution-data-server version 3.46.4, which had webkit2gtk4.1 supported, but had to switch off some now unsupported options in the slackbuild to do that. Then I used that package to continue testing against other builds I have that depend on evolution-data-server. I hope Ozan is reading this because it's his package and it also will fall through to the evolution package he maintains.</div><div><br></div><div> I only looked at my builds that need evolution-data-server which are:</div><div>  gnome-maps        <--- still breaks, even with upgrading evolution-data-server, need to look if newer version is possible</div><div>  gnome-contacts   <--- runs okay with newer evolution-data-server</div><div>  gnome-calendar   <--- build is broken against newer evolution-data-server due to libsoup2/libsoup3, need to look if newer version is possible</div><div>  gnome-shell         <--- builds and runs against the newer evolution-data-server, but control panel is broken if used as a regular desktop environment, as mentioned earlier</div><div>  gdm                      <--- builds and runs as expected with newer evolution-data-server</div><div>  gnome-terminal    <--- builds and runs as expected with newer evolution-data-server</div><div><br></div><div>So there is a mix of success and failure there. I was keeping those packages in the same older gnome versions to keep everything at libsoup2 dependent versions. Now that gnome-control-center is broken, there's not much point to trying to maintain a functional desktop experience and I'll look further into if these individual applications can just be bumped to newer versions.</div><div><br></div><div>The rest of my builds that depend on gnome-online-accounts seem to build and run okay with the newer version on webkit2gtk4.1. </div><div><br></div><div>To recap what is broken by the gnome-online-accounts changeover, even if evolution-data-server gets an update:</div><div>  gnome-control-center</div><div>  gnome-maps</div><div>  gnome-calendar</div><div>Which I'd suggest removal of for now.</div><div><br></div><div>Also, regarding gnome-builder: </div><div>The gnome-builder 42.x versions are the latest we can build on slackware 15.0. Anything newer wants a higher glib2 version, and/or more deps as well like needing libdex, which is also version stuck because of glib2's age in slackware 15.0. If you are wanting to remove webkit2gtk (4.0), then maybe remove this too. I don't use it, I just took over maintenance of a number of gnome builds when the prior maintainer left. If someone wants to use it in the next slackware version, they will be able to easily build newer gnome-builder versions in the next release and can submit the build again then.</div><div><br></div><div>So that's my findings from this morning's testing against this webkit2gtk4.0 deprecation.</div><div><br></div><div>Bob</div><div><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 6:32 PM Willy Sudiarto Raharjo <<a href="mailto:willysr@slackbuilds.org">willysr@slackbuilds.org</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">>@willysr: I have my testing area set up and running now. I can confirm that<br>
>gnome-boxes-43.5 builds fine and runtime is all good still. However, we can<br>
>actually push this to gnome-boxes-50.0 with the webkit2gtk4.1 switch so I'd<br>
>like to do that instead.<br>
><br>
>I'll still be working through more packages tomorrow and testing against<br>
>gnome-online-accounts changes.<br>
><br>
>Now I see that you have your issue on github and already merged 43.5. I<br>
>could submit a PR for gnome-boxes-50.0 and get this through tomorrow or<br>
>next week if its too late now. I'm just a huge git expert so I'm not sure<br>
>if that conflicts with your now merged 43.5 version?<br>
><br>
>Also, there's probably more communication we're going to need to have<br>
>around other packages in this change. Would you prefer I continue with you<br>
>on github on that issue you have open? I'd be responding as 0xBOBF.<br>
<br>
Today is the public update, so if you are still testing gnome-boxes-50, i can<br>
just push the 43 updates first and we will get it done with 50 updates for next<br>
week. This will give you more time to test :)<br>
<br>
If you submit PR for anything, i can manage it on our side, do not worry about<br>
conflicts. Just make sure you base your updates from our latest master branch<br>
<br>
Yes, feel free to communicate with us via any means, email, github/gitlab,<br>
mailing list.<br>
<br>
<br>
--<br>
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo<br>
</blockquote></div>