<div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks for the valuable inputs. Personally I've never used its man page and probably never will notice it without this discussion. </div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent">So, I looked into it and turns out there's an easy fix (credit to AI). Simply adding '--version-string' option to the help2man command fixes it. </span></div><div><br></div><div>The bigger question from me is, we all know the original <span style="background-color:transparent">thjaeger/</span><span style="background-color:transparent">easystroke is unmaintained since 2018. Other forks exist as compilation fix. M</span>ost other distros have either dropped the package or marked as orphaned so they're of not much reference. <span style="background-color:transparent">Arch uses the more "up to date" mrsteve0924/eaystroke fork (only minor patching needed). Considering</span> the thjaeger/easystroke won't compile without extensive patching, s<span style="background-color:transparent">hould we use the mrsteve0924 or other forks?</span></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, 23 Sept 2026 at 17:29, B. Watson <<a href="mailto:urchlay@slackware.uk" target="_blank">urchlay@slackware.uk</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
<br>
On Tue, 22 Sep 2026, Jeremy Hansen wrote:<br>
<br>
> @Kenneth Chan, help2man is now part of Slackware, so I'd probably remove the conditional to build the man page and just do it automatically.<br>
> <br>
> (This is probably what B. Watson intended with his email, but I didn't realize it until testing on my chroot.)<br>
<br>
Actually yes... I had forgot help2man is in Slackware, too.<br>
<br>
The generated man page is awful. The NAME section think the program<br>
is named "The", and it shows all the options twice. The trailer at<br>
the bottom of the page, which e.g. for ls(1) looks like this:<br>
<br>
   GNU coreutils 9.5                 March 2024                             LS(1)<br>
<br>
...instead looks like:<br>
<br>
   The full easystroke documentatioSeptemberl2026 at the following address:THE(1)<br>
<br>
Also the header shows THE(1) as the program name (it should be EASYSTROKE(1)).<br>
<br>
This is a problem too for "man -k" aka "apropos". With the package<br>
installed, you'd expect "man -k gesture" to show you easystroke, but<br>
it'll find "The" instead. Not helpful...<br>
<br>
If it were my build, I'd fix that, even if it meant rewriting the man<br>
page from scratch (I'd write it in RST and use rst2man, nobody really<br>
wants to write raw troff).<br>
<br>
Alternately, if the broken man page bothers you and you don't care<br>
about it enough to write a new man page... just don't include it in<br>
the package at all. It's just the --help output. Better not to provide<br>
a man page at all, if it's broken.<br>
<br>
Yes, I'm being overly nitpicky. These are ideas, suggestions, don't<br>
take them as me trying to tell you what to do._______________________________________________<br>
SlackBuilds-users mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:SlackBuilds-users@slackbuilds.org" target="_blank">SlackBuilds-users@slackbuilds.org</a><br>
<a href="https://lists.slackbuilds.org/mailman/listinfo/slackbuilds-users" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.slackbuilds.org/mailman/listinfo/slackbuilds-users</a><br>
Archives - <a href="https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/</a><br>
FAQ - <a href="https://slackbuilds.org/faq/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://slackbuilds.org/faq/</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>