[Slackbuilds-users] Review junkview again?

Grant g_r_a_n_t_ at dodo.com.au
Wed Sep 27 21:54:12 UTC 2006

Hi there,

The junkview project is a set of awk and bash scripts for iptables
based firewall activity monitoring.

New tarball including data -- very slow site 2k/sec limited, 580k:

  <ftp://ftp.bugsplatter.mine.nu/junkview/junkview-2006-09-28a+.tar.gz>

Tarball sans database is on <http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/junkview/archive/>
and is only 21k, it will prompt to download database sources during install.

This is still not a SlackBuild (yet), but the installer was rewritten
to allow install to /usr/local (default), or to /usr.

When installed to /usr/local, the installer assumes a semi-privileged user
(e.g. :wheel group) will perform database updates, when installed to /usr,
only the root user may update the database.

The installer prompts for normal user data update if required:

# ./install.sh
Install junkview:
  /etc/junkview.conf.new
  /usr/local/share/junkview:
    bogon-data
    classify-text
    ip2c-data
    ip2c-names
  /usr/local/sbin:
    ip2c-server
    junkshow
  /usr/local/bin:
    ccfind
    ip2c-xlock
    junkview
    junkview-preprocess-data
    junkview-update-database
    logfile-date-filter
  /etc/rc.d/rc.junkview

        Run 'junkview-update-database' as user to update
        the database and optionally start the ip2c-server.

        After that, you need to configure your iptables to log
        'JLE' entries, see the README and other documentation.

The installer writes an uninstall script that leaves only /etc/junkview.conf
file behind.  The installer also guides user through database acquisition
(if required) and starting the optional ip2c-server daemon.

Re-running the installer to simply update update database is also acceptable.

My impression now is that the SlackBuild will simply call the install
script as there is no compile step.  An install is performed by root
with tarball extracted to /tmp/, for example.

Further information: <http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/junkview/>

If you consider it ready for a SlackBuild candidate, I'll read up on that
and try making it into a real one ;)

As far as docs go, at the moment I point users to the home web site, I
just noticed I don't even copy the README anywhere :(  Will fix that.

Comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
Grant.
--