[Slackbuilds-users] snort needs update?

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Mon Apr 23 17:28:58 UTC 2007

Bah!  I forgot to check the Reply-To: header when I sent this direct to
Bob Beers.  Here it is in its pristine condition for the whole group to see.

Additionally, I finally found the old snort source code:

  http://snort.org/dl/old/

I really hate how they shuffle things around to hide the old stuff.
Very unprofessional IMHO.

Alan Hicks wrote:
> Bob Beers wrote:
>> I was going to try the Slackbuild with original source tarball to see if
>>  the warnings were present before changing to 2.6.1.4 <http://2.6.1.4>
>> tarball,
>>  but I couldn't find 2.6.1.2 <http://2.6.1.2> tarball on snort pages.
>
> This is a major PITA with snort.  They don't keep the source code for
> their old versions online in any easy to find location.  In fact, I can
> find plenty of binaries for old versions of snort, but _nothing_ for old
> source code.
>
> Perhaps I should take another look at the package and update it along
> with a mirror of the snort source on cardinal?  This is (of course) less
> than ideal and brings up some trust issues, but I'd dutifully note it in
> the README.
>
>> Alan, can you comment on whether the compiler warnings can be safely
>>  ignored?
>
> I really don't know.  It's been awhile since I built snort, though I do
> seem to recall that it was a very noisy build. :^)  I'll see about
> taking a look at it Real Soon Now(TM) and get out an updated version to
> address some of these concerns.  Otherwise, we may end up removing snort
> from the repository.

Ecclesiastes 7:5