[Slackbuilds-users] SlackBuilds.org repository

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Tue Feb 6 16:35:25 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> First of all, I'd like to thank you all for the excellent work on SBo!

We'd like to thank you for your submissions, Daniel.  I haven't
personally looked at them, but those who have said they were of
generally high quality, certainly above average.

> Could you consider making SBo available as a Mercurial repository? This
> would have some nice advantages:
>
> - Quick dowloads of updates as an alternative to rsync.
> - The possibility to get logs and diffs of changes between versions.
> - The possibility to revert to older versions of a SlackBuild.
> - Making it a lot easier to keep/maintain local changes (e.g. if
>    I have local PostgreSQL modifications, a "hg pull" would merge
>    upstream updates with my local changes).
> - For those of us who submit SlackBuilds, it is easier to quickly
>    see what changes were made compared to the SBo repository. This
>    may be easier for you too, because you could get updates as diffs,
>    which will usually be short.
>
> Especially the first four points can be of tremendous help for those
> (including me) who have to maintain package sets for production systems.
> And after all, Mercurial is in Slackware now :).

I'm not familiar with Mercurial, so I'll defer to others judgement in
this area.  I can say that we've tossed around the idea of SVN, CVS, or
RCS on the -devel mailing list, but I haven't seriously followed those
discussions.  Hopefully others will chime in here soon.

Ecclesiastes 7:5