[Slackbuilds-users] dependencies

Deak, Ferenc ferenc.deak at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 18:08:23 UTC 2007

Hi list members,

I know this is FAQ no 14, and I know all the technical and political issues
of the
"dependecy problem", but...

The current rule of this slackbuild project is that we can put the
"informal"
list of dependencies into the README file.

Supposing that most of us have a full slackware install on our machines,
is it a very bad idea that a package lists those dependencies formally which
are
solved by the slackbuilds project?
For example we can put "SBODEPS=pkg1,pkg2" os something similar to the .info
file.

The reason is that I would like to write a script to
1. to compile an application automatically, building its sbo deps before
2. I would like to write a script which checks which packages have to be
rebuilt, when
   an other package releases a newer version. I know this later is harder
because I have
   to know that I really need a rebuild or not. (when I have a newer .so lib
it does not
   necessary need to rebuild of its dependant)

So the first target is 1.

If we do not want to put it to the .info the second choice is to put it to
the README as now,
but in a standard form (in a separate line by a leading token) to able to
parse by grep or
similar tools.

Sorry if it was discussed later!

thanks for your tolerance,