[Slackbuilds-users] HAL 'plugdev' system-group (ivman/pmount)

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Thu May 17 00:22:42 UTC 2007

Patrick J. Volkerding wrote:
> BTW, this "The Man" thing was a bad joke played on me by my webmasters
> at Walnut Creek CDROM that's gone on for a long time...  ;-)

As an old friend of mine used to say, "I'm tired of being The Man!  Why
don't you be The Man for a change?"

> I'd say it all hinges on security.  If a normal user mounts a CD, the
> fstab applies all kinds of restrictions to it (or should).  OTOH, I have
> no idea if we were to reuse "cdrom" if someone could come along with a
> stick of flash memory with a setuid root binary, stick it in, and run
> it.  Or, if the setuid bits would be removed.

Well, the admin is going to have to setup fstab for this anyhow, right?
 (Or does HAL somehow screw with that?  I'm _really_ not up on HAL and
the more I hear about it the less I like it.)

> "plugdev" wouldn't be my favorite group name, but when things get ugly
> when you exceed 8 characters it leaves few good choices.  If that's what
> at least one distro that's implemented HAL before us uses, I'm not
> opposed to adding the group to Slackware.  Safety first.  :-)

Yeah, "plugdev" sounds too much like a group for plugin developers.  I
would have gone with "plugger" myself. :^)

As for adding it to Slackware, that is of course, your prerogative.  At
SBo, we have a little list of users and groups that are required by some
of our scripts.

  http://slackbuilds.org/uid_gid.txt

Robby and I came up with that late one night at a middle school while
re-building cardinal.  It's a long story. :^)  Anyhow, if the group is
required for any of our stuff, we'll implement it independently until
such time as it is in Slackware, and then we'll change it.

Ecclesiastes 7:5