[Slackbuilds-users] gnome-core

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sun Nov 4 11:50:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

For my custom XFCE desktop, I have a set of GNOME core libs, so I can
run apps like grip, evince, file-roller and the likes. Here's a list of
my package list (not all strictly GNOME packages):

# GNOME core
hicolor-icon-theme
perl-xml-simple
icon-naming-utils
pycairo
libgnomecups
ORBit2
intltool
libbonobo
gtk-doc
GConf
gnome-mime-data
gnome-vfs
gnome-vfs-monikers
libgnome
libgnomecanvas
libbonoboui
gnome-keyring
libgnomeui
gail
at-spi
libgnomeprint
gnome-icon-theme
libgnomeprintui
gtk-engines
scrollkeeper
gnome-doc-utils
libwnck
libgtop
pygobject
pygtk
tango-icon-theme
poppler

The packages are only mildly intrusive, since they update the odd
library like gnome-icon-theme, hicolor-icon-theme and poppler. I
inspired myself from what the other GNOME-for-Slackware projects did
until now, followed mostly the order of slackbuilds.net (the french
site) and tried to do things following the KISS principle. I also drew
some sort of line: no nautilus, no gstreamer.

Maybe it would be a good idea to offer these scripts as a bundle, with a
little master script to build them all. I have this here, but it's not
exactly SBo-compliant.

I'd be curious to hear (well: read) your thoughts about that.

To get an idea: here's a screenshot of my XFCE desktop with Evince, Grip
and File-Roller (three apps I like):

http://www.kikinovak.net/images/xfce-gnome.png

cheers,

Niki