[Slackbuilds-users] Script for SciPy?

Audrius Kažukauskas neobug at tornado.ktu.lt
Sat Nov 24 21:31:57 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 12:44:55 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I see that Aleksandar Samardzic has written a script for NumPy, but I
> cannot find one in the repository for SciPy. Is there such a script hidden
> away from view by us commoners?
>
>    In my naivete, it looks to me that I could change 'numpy' to 'scipy' in
> the existing script and it would work since both use the python setup.py
> scripts. Is this a reasonable thing for me to do? I do need to upgrade both
> numpy and scipy here to match the latest matplotlib.

Well, it's not so simple as it seems.  You need ATLAS to build SciPy,
and when building ATLAS you have to build a complete LAPACK library as
told in SciPy FAQ:

http://scipy.org/FAQ#head-0f5cda66c4d28a8c65206cc2b4213e18f1c22547

Not to mention that ATLAS and LAPACK require Fortran compiler.  All I
can say, that it's a real PITA.

Besides, matplotlib doesn't require SciPy, only NumPy.  If you're not
going to do some serious math, I think you'll be fine without SciPy.

--
Audrius Kažukauskas