[Slackbuilds-users] Learning How To Modify A SlackBuild

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 2 18:42:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Robby Workman wrote:

> That's why you'll find sources and build scripts also available on all of
> the packages produced by me, Eric, and probably everyone else around here
> :-)

Hi, Robby!

   I've gratefully used a number of these scripts. And I appreciate
everyone's efforts on them.

   My limitation is that the computer and its applications are tools that I
use in my business; they're a means to an end rather than an end in
themselves. This means that spending time sharpening the tools takes away
time from using them. It's really a conundrum.

> Do everything manually (as a normal user).
> 1. Extract the source.
> 2. cd $SRCDIR
> 3. ./configure --prefix=/usr [other options]
> 4. make
> 5. mkdir -p /tmp/package-$APP
> 6. make install DESTDIR=/tmp/package-$APP
> 7. cd /tmp/package-$APP
> 8. <housekeeping> (gzip manpages, move stuff as needed, etcetera)
> 9. cd /tmp/package-$APP
> 10. su
> 11. chown -R root:root .
> 12. makepkg -c n -l y ../$PKGNAME
>
> Test.  If it works, then modify the build script to do exactly what
> you just did.

   Ah, kewel! I'll do this and report the results.

Many thanks,

Rich

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)