[Slackbuilds-users] Learning How To Modify A SlackBuild

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 2 21:21:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Eric Hameleers wrote:

> Your box should allow _everyone_ to write to /tmp ! If it does not, run
> "chmod 1777 /tmp" to fix the permissions and reset them to Slackware's
> defaults.

Eric,

   Those are the defaults, but I got an error as a user running the
SlackBuild script manually.

> That is because slacky.eu scripts are not independent scripts - they rely
> on at least one other script (requiredbuilder) that is not part of
> Slackware and has to be downloaded from slacky.eu. You do not need it
> though - all it does is scan the built executables and libraries and
> creates a file with package names which are needed to fulfill the
> dependencies for your new package.

   Oh. Searching the Web with Google I found three scripts, all from Europe.
I was surprised to not find a script on slackbuilds.org or other places.

> One of the two actually - wxGTK is a subset of wxWidgets. You only need
> wxGTK on a Linux system.

   Hmm-m-m. Then I'm in way over my head on this. The source file seems to
build wxWidgets first, then appears to run python setup.py for wxGTK,
followed by wxPython.

   The existing installation includes wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/ in site-packages,
plus wx-2.6-gtk2-ansi/ and wxpython/. I suppose those are all wxGTK, but
wxGTK-2.8.0 is also installed as a separate package from wxPython-2.8.0.1.

Rich

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)