[Slackbuilds-users] Multimedia libraries

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Oct 3 07:27:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

Ever tried to build such bears as transcode or VLC? Short peek at the
required libs, and you cancel the bike tour you had planned for the
weekend.

The long litany from a52dec to xvidcore...

The french Slackware site slackfr.org offers a "multimedia pack", a
bundle of multimedia libs. The package comes as an installer with .tgz
packages, but the site also publishes individual SlackBuild scripts and
links to sources.

I just gave both versions a shot, both the binary as well as the scripts
and sources. IMHO, building transcode successfully with almost all
options enabled is a good sign.

I see Eric Hameleers has a "monster build" for VLC on his site. But in
this script, every lib is linked statically... for some good reasons.

I'd like to make a suggestion. I know the idea of a package bundle is
not in the spirit of slackbuilds.org, but why not include, say, *all*
the libs necessary to successfully build VLC, and then add a little
compilation guide, indicating the right build order?

Cheers,

Niki
--
make install not war