[Slackbuilds-users] building everything as root

Niel Drummond niel.drummond at grumpytoad.org
Wed Apr 9 18:38:54 EDT 2008

I am new to this list, and new to slackware, and find the slackbuilds
project very appealing. But I am wondering on the rationale for building
scripts as root ? It's not necessary to do so, but most scripts try to
change the ownership of files to root, so I suspect this is considered
the "slackway". I remember reading somewhere though that running make
(apart from 'make install') as root was asking for trouble, and coming
from distros where its typically discouraged to run 3rd party scripts as
root, it's made me curious to hear the counterargument.