[Slackbuilds-users] building everything as root

Grant g_r_a_n_t_ at dodo.com.au
Wed Apr 9 21:10:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:38:54 +0200, Niel Drummond <niel.drummond at grumpytoad.org> wrote:

>I am new to this list, and new to slackware, and find the slackbuilds
>project very appealing. But I am wondering on the rationale for building
>scripts as root ? It's not necessary to do so, but most scripts try to
>change the ownership of files to root, so I suspect this is considered
>the "slackway". I remember reading somewhere though that running make
>(apart from 'make install') as root was asking for trouble, and coming
>from distros where its typically discouraged to run 3rd party scripts as
>root, it's made me curious to hear the counterargument.

Simple, slackers like to live dangerously :)  It's historic, based on the
way standard slackbuilds work.  SBo decided to integrate their slackbuilds
with the distro, hence follow similar patterns.

The alternative is to build from source, but then you miss out on the
standard slack packaging tools, and this may lead to difficulties if the
source does odd things to the OS.

Cheers,
Grant.
--