[Slackbuilds-users] wxGTK needs a patch to function with newer GTK+

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sun Apr 13 16:12:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:50:33 +0200
"Eric Hameleers (SBo)" <alien at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> Keith Richie schreef:
> > On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Eric Hameleers (SBo)
> > <alien at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> >> Keith Richie schreef:
> >>

> >>  > The gui for VLC is unusable when linked against wx2.8. Couldn't
> >>  > draw the volume, plus a few other errors. I didn't test it to
> >>  > open anything though, considering the GUI errors. So wxPython
> >>  > won't work here.
> >>
> >>  There is a good reason why I use a statically linked wxGtk 2.6.x
> >> with my vlc build.
> >>
> >>  Eric
>
> > That's what it failed with :)
> > (super-duper-all-in-one..... was in reference to your build script)
>
> I had not yet read the LQ thread... just came home and answered the
> first email I read.
> I have not yet seen these doublefree errors with VLC, but I am not yet
> running slackware-current on my desktop either so perhaps I have yet
> to see it.
> Anyway, it will not hurt to apply this patch if it is beneficial under
> slackware-current. I am curious to see if it has any effect in
> Slackware 12.0.
>
> Eric

Nice find, Keith.

After some brief testing, it appears that this patch fixes the problems
I was having with Audacity 1.3.4 on -current, which means that Audacity
on current/12.1 can use wxGTK instead of wxPython.  As it stands now,
Audacity 1.3.4 works on current when built with wxPython.

If others can confirm this, then maybe the wxGTK maintainer can
include this patch with wxGTK and tweaking the wxGTK slackbuild to
patch the source would be a nice addition to the -current/12.1 SBo
updates.  I've attached my wxGTK SlackBuild with such a change.

I would also tweak the Audacity README to say that one can use either
wxGTK 2.6.4 with the patch or wxPython 2.8.x.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key:  0x0C7558C3