[Slackbuilds-users] VirtualBox Build Scripts

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Dec 12 10:33:27 UTC 2008

Darrell Anderson wrote:
> I have been struggling to compile VB 2.0.6 in 12.2 with the 2.6.27.7 kernel
> configured with the >4GB RAM option.
>
> Both 1.6.6 and 2.0.6 compile in 12.1 with the 2.6.24.5 kernel and >4GB RAM
> option.
>
> If I disable >4GB option and recompile the kernel, then 1.6.6 and 2.0.6
> compile in 12.2 with the 2.6.27.7 kernel. Seems I need to recompile the
> kernel and reboot, and not just edit the kernel .config file.

I have no idea what's going wrong there. You might be better off by asking
what's wrong here upstream. I know that the mailing list as well as irc work
well for such issues.

> I have been using build scripts from slacky.eu that I have modified several
> times. At the time I starting using the scripts (version 1.5.6) no build
> scripts yet existed at SBo. I mention this only because with the scripts
> have always succeeded for me until this recent struggle. I therefore
> decided to try the SBo scripts.
>
> Some observations and questions:
>
> 1. In the README files, there is reference to the KERNEL variable. Should
> this reference be to KERNELVERSION, as is the actual variable used in the
> scripts?

That is correct. I have noted the mistake locally. It's wrong in the README's
for virtualbox-kernel and virtualbox-kernel-addons

> 2. The README implies being able to build for newer kernels. As I can build
> in 2.6.24.5 without errors, according to the README I should be able to
> build in 12.1 for 12.2 and the 2.6.27.7 kernel. Yet doesn't VB embed the
> kernel VERMAGIC variable in the kernel module and wouldn't that prevent
> this trick from succeeding?

Hmm, you might get something wrong here. Via the KERNELVERSION variable you
can define the kernel version used to compile the module. By default it will
be the currently running kernel, but you can change it to some other version,
which still needs to be installed. For example, if you define
KERNELVERSION=2.6.27.7, it will look for /lib/modules/2.6.27.7/{build,source}
(don't know which one exactly). The resulting module will then work with the
kernel you chose it should work with.

> 3. The vbox udev rule set is being copied to /etc/udev/rules.d. Starting
> with 12.2, should this be /lib/udev/rules.d?

Oops. Yeah, I'll fix that as soon as possible....

> 4. I notice there is no rc.d script for automating the VB bridge. I have
> been using such a script from the slacky.eu build scripts.  This rc.d
> script works great. Any chance of adding the script to the SBo scripts or
> does VB 2.x do things differently?

That rc script is not included in upstream by default. It was written by the
author of the SlackBuilds on slacky.eu (if I remember correctly) and at the
time I submitted the SlackBuilds for SBo I didn't really understand them.
I see that some people would like to have such a script available, so I will
take a look at it again, but it will very likely reqire some changes to work
with SBo's scripts. *If* I manage to get them working (any help appreciated),
I'll also try to get them upstream to ease maintainance. But don't expect
that to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for your comments :)

Grs,
Heinz