[Slackbuilds-users] new location for udev files in 12.2

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Wed Dec 24 03:09:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:38:44 -0600
Robby Workman <rw at rlworkman.net> wrote:

> > > I thought those were supposed to be just system rules and the rest
> > > of them still had to reside in /etc/udev/rules.d
> >
> > This is my understanding as well.  /lib/udev is for system and
> > distribution rules that shouldn't need to be changed, and /etc/udev
> > is for anything the admin tacks on with additional packages and such
>
> Not necessarily.
>
> That's at least partially right though.  The only rules that should
> ever be installed to /etc/udev/rules.d are ones that the admin might
> need to change.  As an example, the generated rules for persistent
> network and optical devices may very well need to change, perhaps
> several times, over the life of a system, and they are completely
> independent of any packages that might come and go.  On the other
> hand, the rules installed by the virtualbox package should be correct
> for *that* package and not need to be changed by the sysadmin.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

As for zaptel, I'm not 100% certain where the udev rules should belong,
so I'm tempted to leave them in /etc. Given the sheer number of
different devices that make use of the zaptel driver framework, I can't
be certain that the admin might not need to change them regularly as a
system is upgraded.[0] With that said, I don't *think* there should
ever be a need to change them, so I'm flexible here. I'd appreciate
carefully thought out opinions.

[0] I've only tested a *very* small subset of analogue PSTN cards and
haven't even touched digital cards for T1/E1 or BRI/PRI, etc.

Ecclesiastes 7:5