[Slackbuilds-users] ffmpeg

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Dec 26 09:41:09 UTC 2008

Robby Workman wrote:
> Please don't hijack unrelated threads :)
>
> On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 22:40:59 -0800 (PST)
>
> Darrell Anderson <humanreadable at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I built ffmpeg. Initially the build script failed because I have /tmp
> > mounted noexec. I'm not changing that. :-)
>
> Understandable.
>
> > The error message informed me that configure was looking for TMPDIR.
> > I then ran the build script as follows:
> >
> > TMPDIR=/temporary/tmp/location ./ffmpeg.Slackbuild.
> >
> > That worked. I next modified the build script with:
> >
> > export TMPDIR=/temporary/tmp/location
> >
> > That worked too.
> >
> > Unlike all of the files I have built from SBo, the ffmpeg configure
> > file is hard-coded to look for a TMPDIR environment variable, and if
> > none is found defaults TMPDIR to /tmp.
>
> Wow.  I'd expect that they would use TMP, and furthermore, I think that
> should probably be mentioned to them.

That's the relevant part I found in ffmpeg svn's configure script:

# set temporary file name
if test ! -z "$TMPDIR" ; then
    TMPDIR1="${TMPDIR}"
elif test ! -z "$TEMPDIR" ; then
    TMPDIR1="${TEMPDIR}"
else
    TMPDIR1="/tmp"
fi

As one can see it looks for $TMPDIR and $TEMPDIR, so basically I think adding
a $TMP check here should be fine as I haven't found $TMP anywhere else in
configure.

> > Perhaps a caution on the ffmpeg page might help? I realize most
> > people mount /tmp executable, but a short caution would help those
> > who don't.
>
> Probably better to add something like this to the build script before
> starting the compile process:
>   TMPDIR=${TMPDIR:-$TMP}
>   export TMPDIR
> and then "unset TMPDIR" after the compile process is finished.

I guess with the above mentioned change we don't need this anymore, right?

Grs,
Heinz