[Slackbuilds-users] file ChangeLog requested by wine.SlackBuild not present in wine-1.0-rc4 source

Antonio Hernández Blas hba.nihilismus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 06:05:57 UTC 2008

What? a stupid idea?, mmmh.. then why are there some SlackBuilds with
something like this thing? ;)

if [ -d $PKG/usr/man ]; then
  find $PKG/usr/man -type f -name "*.?" -exec gzip -9f {} \;
fi

And not, they are not just two or three, they are 58 SlackBuilds with
a thing like that(even worst, see krusader.SlackBuild, btw the autor
is Robby Workman). This looks to me "the same" as

if [ -e $TMP/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/ChangeLog ]; then
  cp $TMP/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/ChangeLog $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/Changelog
fi

IMHO this is a crap, why? because in the end, when i see the package
with 'installpkg -warn' and notice that there aren't manpages in it
BUT its SlackBuild has an 'if [ -d $PKG/usr/man ]; ..'  then i start
to asking myself if really aren't there manpages in the sourcecode or
if something was wrong at build time.

If you want to know which are the "affected" SlackBuilds with this
"stupid idea", look at http://pastebin.slackadelic.com/587 . ffmpeg
makes sence to me, but the others... it's not so clear :P

OTOH i didn't say 'add "|| true" to all the lines that could fail
because a newer version could change things'. If you thought that,
sorry that was not my intention. But what i'm suggesting is, if you
are going to try a SlackBuild with a new version then add "|| true" in
the line that copy docs files into the docs dir. You can check at the
end if there are new/old files to add/erase in the docs dir, how?
easy, execute 'installpkg -warn /tmp/$PRGNAM-$VERSION*.tgz and check
the diff with the contents of $TMP/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/docs for example,
thats all. At least this is what i do when i need to update my
SlackBuilds.

That's all, cheers :)